XMPP - Decentralized instant messaging
Communicate with your friends using a standardized, open and federated chat protocol with the ability to encrypt your communication with OTR (Off-The-Record) messaging. With XMPP you are not bound to one service (our service) provider but can freely communicate with contacts from other XMPP servers, just like you would communicate between different email servers.
Project homepage: https://prosody.im
Username: Your username
If you are using a XMPP client (e.g. pidgin), you will need the above mentioned settings.
Alternately, You can use XMPP client embedded in ownCloud at https://cloud.disroot.org
XMPP feature highlights:
Use your favorite chat-client
There is a lot of desktop/web/mobile clients to choose from. You can pick the one you like the best.
By using OTR or GPG encryption methods on the client side (your side), your conversation cannot be intercepted by anyone but the recipient.
XMPP gives you possibility to create private and public chat-rooms.
just use chat.disroot.org in your XMPP client or make use of our web-client.
List of supported server modules:
- "roster"; -- Allow users to have a roster. Recommended 😉
- "saslauth"; -- Authentication for clients and servers.
- "tls"; -- Add support for secure TLS on c2s/s2s connections
- "dialback"; -- s2s dialback support
- "disco"; -- Service discovery
- "bosh"; -- xmpp over http
- "muc"; -- Multi user Chat (chatrooms)
- "http_upload"; -- upload files via http (file will be deleted after 7 days)
- "private"; -- Private XML storage (for room bookmarks, etc.)
- "vcard"; -- Allow users to set vCards
- "privacy"; -- Support privacy lists
- "compression"; -- Stream compression
- "offline"; -- Store offline messages.
- "version"; -- Replies to server version requests
- "uptime"; -- Report how long server has been running
- "time"; -- Let others know the time here on this server
- "ping"; -- Replies to XMPP pings with pongs
- "pep"; -- Enables users to publish their mood, activity, playing music and more
- "carbons"; -- Allow sending messages to multiple devices
- "smacks"; -- Stream Management
- "csi"; -- Implements Client State Indication
- "throttle_presence"; -- see https://modules.prosody.im/mod_throttle_presence.html
- "announce"; -- Send announcement to all online users
- "motd"; -- Send a message to users when they log in